- Soca 2019! -

Saturday, April 14, 2012

CaNdY!!

The first band to announce their theme (before 2011 Caribana) for this year got me imagining lots of fun possibilities. I'm eagerly anticipating Tribal Knight's Candy Land because I really want to see how the designers make candy mas. No, I don't think they'll give us a Katy Perry inspired cupcake bra or worse, a whipped cream bra, *shudder*, but will we see any elements from her California Gurls video?


Ok, something I picture for cotton candy - bare with me - imagine these leggings used as material for the bra, only softer, not so furry. Know what I mean?

When I think candy, I think black licorice can be translated into a super sexy costume using wet look pvc. Same for a candy apple, I'm thinking a shiny red corset.


Now as for peppermint, these are just too obvious, but I couldn't help but post it!
Caramel corn!
Lollipop and jelly beans cover the pastel colours.


For an edible element into a costume, how will candy necklaces be used?And don't forget the men, what about Sugar Daddy? Oh Henry? Mr. Big?
(Come on, you knew I had to say it!) You MUST have fun with a theme like this!What candy costumes do you think we'll see?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When will you guys put up pictures for each band?

Trini-in-Toronto said...

We don't promise, because sometimes life gets in the way, but we try to have pics up on Sunday

Anonymous said...

Your ideas are always better than the actual costumes.

Is it just me, or are they regurgitated versions of costumes from the last 5 years... or maybe I've been doing this for too long, but creativity seems to be fading.

I hope I see something new and unique with the upcoming launches.

Trini-in-Toronto said...

I hear you on the bikini beads and feather fatigue. And I don't think that its the designers who have no fresh ideas. After all, they are artists, otherwise they would get a real job. The way things are now in Toronto, if your section can't sell out a few weeks after the launch people start to wonder what's wrong. I think designers play it safe and stick to a popular formula for fear that anything that stays from the norm will be rejected. If everyone else has a big feathery head peice and you have a a small hat with no feathers ..... what's going to happen to your sales. And if you buss one year, you end up in the back of the parade next year and you are done. There is a lot of pressure to come out with a design that has mass appeal, even if it has nothing to do with your theme or your Mas.

Caribana 2010 slideshow

Mardi Gras, Hamilton

Mardi Gras, Hamilton
2004

Blog Archive

J'ouvert 2008!

J'ouvert 2008!

Mardi Gras 2010

Buublenut, Megan & Karabana at Caribana 2007!

http://www.westindiantube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=bcbeece3d9128ae855 a7

BlogCatalog

Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory